Planning is everything as we all know. However, there is the challenge of letting go. The biggest challenge we face is allowing someone else to perform on our behalf. Unless we ourselves are the talent; e.g. speaker, trainer, coach, actor, doctor, etc. it is usually possible to allow other skilled people to do the work we say only we can do.
Vacation Preparation Tips for the Business Owner:
1. Automating as much as you can is also advisable; there are numerous applications for just about all of your needs.
2. Consider using a virtual assistant company even if it is limited to vacation or other time away. There are companies that provide a variety of services; it’s incredible all that is available today.
3. There are phone answering services that go beyond answering the phone; some actually take service calls and know who to send out to handle the service. If the company is unable to handle the call; they can send messages to you for further instruction or you can handle the issue yourself.
4. Schedule specific times when you will respond to calls that cannot otherwise be handled by someone else or a service you have hired.
5. Using a payroll company is critical; especially when you have multiple people working for you.
6. Be sure to have a bookkeeper enter your income and expense data real or almost real time into your Internet based bookkeeping/accounting service which may also be accessed by your accountant; e.g. QuickBooks online (or something similar). It is a must! (You can find someone to do this online (scan and send all receipts to them); of course you will want to vet potential candidates first.
7. Notifying your clients in advance (if possible) that you will not be available for a specific time frame is important (best to have a project manager that can handle emergencies); this limits your conversations to the project manager only. Also, let project owners know they should contact your project manager(s) or other supervisory personnel and provide them with the contact information.
8. Remember, you are taking a vacation! Root word – VACATE. Everything is not an emergency. Many small business owners find it difficult to LET GO; however, if the company is appropriately staffed with well trained, experienced and reliable staff; show your trust in their abilities by allowing them to take the reins. Check in with them at pre-scheduled times to find out if they need your advice. Showing your trust in their abilities will increase their confidence and loyalty to you and the company’s mission.
9. RELAX and ENJOY your vacation. If you are in the position to take a vacation; don’t take away from the mental, emotional, spiritual and physical benefits by continuing to work. The work will be there when you return.
10. Inspirational moment: When we hold on too tightly to something we choke out the light, stagnate and stifle growth. When we Trust and release our business concerns to the Light/God/Universe; new doors are opened that we would never see ourselves. Let Go and Flow.
Are you looking for a business coach to help you tackle new ideas, provide advice, counsel, direction, information, navigation, inspiration and encouragement? Look no further, schedule a connection meeting with me.
Are you looking for someone to help you tackle new ideas, provide advice, counsel, direction, information, navigation, inspiration and encouragement? Look no further – schedule a “Connection Meeting” with me.